Everything You Need to Know About Self-Assessment Tax in the UK

2 minutes, 36 seconds Read

In this article we’ll cover what Self-Assessment tax is and who it’s for. We’ll also go over how to pay your Self-Assessment tax. If you’re confused, we can help you understand the basics of self-assessment tax in the UK. To get started, read our article describing the tax and its rates. Then, you’ll be well on your way to filing your own tax return.


What Is Self-Assessment Tax?

If you live in the UK and earn a certain amount of money, you may need to file a Self-assessment tax return. The government uses this system to collect taxes from individuals. To file a return, you must list all of your income, including income that is not taxed at source. Late filings can result in hefty fines. To avoid such a hefty fine, make sure that you understand Self-assessment tax in the UK.


File a Self-Assessment Tax Return

In order to file a Self-Assessment tax return, you must have a total income of PS1,000 or 80% of the tax owed. During the year, you can make up to two advance payments to HMRC. These payments are made on 31 January and July, so they will be deducted from your tax bill. Depending on the method you choose, you can set up a budget payment plan to pay your tax bill.


Claim an accommodation allowance

To claim an accommodation allowance, you must have a permanent place of residence in the UK for at least 91 days. This means you must spend at least one night in the UK in the tax year. You do not need a legal interest in the property to meet this test. You can also claim accommodation costs if you use the same hotel room every Friday for more than three months.


How to Pay Self-Assessment Tax?

If you’re wondering how to pay Self Assessment tax in the UK, you’ve come to the right place. There are a number of methods available to you, including post and telephone banking. If you want to send your payment via the post, you can either choose Faster Payments or CHAPS. When sending a payment through either of these methods, you’ll need to provide your HMRC reference number and payment amount. Then, fill out the rest of the form. Then, when the payment arrives, HMRC will usually receive it the next working day.


Getting Help from a Tax Accountant

If you’re looking for help preparing your self-assessment tax return in the UK, you’ve probably considered hiring a tax accountant. Typically, accountants will ask you for details regarding income, expenditure, and earnings. Then, they’ll prepare a tax return that meets all of the regulations set by HMRC. The accountant can also help you with any specific questions you have.



Once you’ve outlined your income and expenses, the accountant will calculate the amount of tax you’re due. Then, they’ll go through your income and expenses to figure out what you owe. They’ll take into account any deductions you’ve made, such as business expenses and personal tax allowance. You’ll then see what percentage of the tax you owe is due and what the actual tax will be.

Similar Posts