What are the Capital Gains Tax Relief For Non-UK Residents?

7 minutes, 56 seconds Read

When a person sells property, they may be charged Capital Gains Tax. However, there are some important details that need to be understood before deciding to file for this tax. First, a person must be a resident of the UK or a resident of another country who has an interest in the property. A person may also be charged CGT if they are not a resident of the UK. If you are not a resident of the UK, it is possible to claim Business investment relief and rollover/holdover relief on your assets.


Benefits of paying capital gains tax

When you sell an asset, such as a house or business, you will have to pay capital gains tax. This tax is based on the overall gain and is applied to the sale price, less any initial capital costs. Typically, you only have to pay capital gains tax on your first PS12,300 in capital gains, but you may have more than this amount and still need to pay a bit of tax. Fortunately, there are some ways to minimize this tax.

For one thing, there are some exceptions to the capital gains tax regime in the UK. For example, a capital distribution on shares is not treated as income, as is an annual subscription to certain learned societies or approved professional bodies. However, if you sell your property within five years, then the tax law will make the taxation even more difficult. Hence, it is best to seek advice before making an investment.


You can Offset it by Making a Charitable Contribution

Aside from paying capital gains tax, you can offset it by making a charitable contribution. For example, you can donate highly appreciated stocks or assets to charity. You will have to pay tax on the difference between the current market value and the value you had when you bought the property. You can also use the extra money to fund a charitable cause. Moreover, you can deduct this donation from your income tax.

For non-UK residents, they can also opt for a PPR and avoid NRCGT if the property is their main residence. However, for this, you must spend 90 days at the property during the tax year. Therefore, the benefits of paying capital gains tax in the UK are numerous. So, if you are thinking about buying or selling a property, pay attention! You can avoid paying capital gains tax by paying the PPR.


Non-UK Residents are Liable to Pay

Until April 2015, a non-UK resident was not required to pay capital gains tax on UK property sales. From this date, however, non-UK residents must pay CGT on all property sales within the UK. This also applies to British expats who have bought property in the UK and sell it. The amount of CGT a non-UK resident must pay varies.

The UK imposes personal income tax, corporate income tax, and capital gains tax on worldwide income. Non-UK residents may be subject to these taxes if they own businesses in the country, earn income there, or have interests in UK property. While the UK is not a fully federal government, certain taxation matters have been devolved from the UK Parliament to the devolved administrations of Scotland and Wales.


Non Property Related Assets

In general, a non-UK resident is treated as a temporary non-resident for capital gains tax purposes for up to five years. Capital gains made during that time period are taxed in the year they return to the UK. UK residents are exempt from CGT on non-property-related assets, such as portfolio investments. During non-UK residency, the non-UK resident may be exempted from taxation on their capital gains if they do not use the property as a primary residence.

In general, an individual must be a non-UK resident for at least five years before making a transfer of property. This period is five calendar years plus a day. An example is a period of time from 4 May 2016 to 4 May 2021. This period is calculated based on the UK taxation rules, and overseas CGT is subtracted from the UK CGT attributable to the overseas assets. However, if the non-UK resident remains a non-resident for more than five years, the anti-avoidance rules do not apply. Further, the anti-avoidance rules apply only to gains that have been made on assets held at the time of the taxation.


Business Investment Relief

If you have recently sold an investment, you may be eligible for Business Investment Relief. Under the current legislation, the amount that has been sold must be reinvested into a qualifying company. The amount that has been invested must be the same proportion of capital and income. If you do not reinvest your money in a qualifying company, the dividends and interest that come from the investment will be taxable in the same way as UK source income. If you aren’t sure whether or not you qualify for Business Investment Relief, you can take a voluntary advance assurance procedure with HMRC. Within 30 days, HMRC will give you an opinion on your proposed investment.

Business Investment Relief is particularly beneficial for taxpayers who wish to invest in unlisted companies. This relief may not be suitable for everyone. You will need to keep appropriate records and evidence to ensure that you are investing at arm’s length. Furthermore, the taxation of UK Resident Non-UK Domiciled is complex and requires specialist advice. There are several ways to make the most of this relief. To find out more, contact HMRC today.


Rollover/Holdover Relief on Business Assets

You may qualify for rollover/holdover relief on business assets when you sell a qualifying asset. To claim this relief, you must sell your previous business asset within 12 months or three years of the new one. You can apply for this relief on a Self Assessment tax return. You must use the form with your return if you need advice. You must claim this relief within 4 years of the end of the tax year in which you sold your old asset.

Rollover/holdover relief is a deferral of CGT on a business asset, until the new asset is sold. This relief applies only to business assets that are replaced after a three-year period has elapsed since the disposal of the old asset. Alternatively, you can claim this relief if you gift or give away a business asset to your children. If you transfer a business to your spouse or civil partner, CGT is deferred until you sell the new asset.


Take Advantage of Rollover/Holdover Relief on Business Assets

There are certain conditions to take advantage of rollover/holdover relief on business assets when you pay capital gains tax. In addition to the five-year holding period, you also need to meet certain conditions. Your new asset must be used in trade immediately after it is acquired. Improvements must be made to the new asset within this period. However, it is important to note that rollover relief is only available on business assets that have not depreciated.

If you want to claim rollover/holdover relief on business assets when you pay capital gains tax, you need to calculate the chargeable gains. The first condition is that the assets must be part of a trading company or a trading group, so that the profits can be reinvested for use in trade. If the proceeds are not reinvested, however, you will still have to pay capital gains tax on them.


Costs of Paying Capital Gains Tax

If you’re planning to sell your assets, you should consider the costs of paying capital gains tax with the help of personal tax accountant. These taxes can lower the overall value of your portfolio, so you should account for these costs when developing your investment strategy. Here’s what you need to know about the different taxes and how they may affect your finances. You should be aware of the current long-term and short-term capital gains tax rates. The current rates went into effect in 2013.

The median household income in the US was p67,521.5 in 2020, meaning a person in the 15 percent capital gains tax bracket will pay about p3,750 in taxes. Considering that a single person can earn up to $752,000 in capital gains, this amount is relatively insignificant when compared to the overall costs of paying capital gains tax. However, it’s important to remember that married couples filing jointly are likely to pay a higher effective rate, so be prepared for these costs.



In general, those in the lowest tax brackets will not pay taxes on long-term capital gains. However, people in the top tax brackets will have to pay tax on both types of capital gains. The difference between short-term and long-term gains can result in a big difference in taxes. Another thing to consider is that things don’t always increase in value. In fact, they can go down in value as well. In this case, selling something for less than its original price would result in a capital loss. You can use your capital loss to offset your capital gains.

In addition to paying the tax, you need to remember that selling your investment property is a complicated process. Whether you’re selling for a financial reason or for health reasons, you should be aware of the possible costs involved. You can avoid paying the capital gains tax if you have a 1031 exchange in place. The 1031 exchange program allows you to swap investment assets and avoid the tax on capital gains. However, it has strict rules and requirements.

Similar Posts